Jim Holbein is an expert about international trade topics based on over 30 years of government and private sector experience. He is currently advising numerous trade clients about transactions in this new era of supply chain disruptions and high fraud problems.
Jim previously supervised a professional staff maintaining the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the U.S. at the International Trade Commission (USITC). Additionally, he managed the NAFTA trade dispute settlement process while at the U.S. Department of Commerce and served as a diplomat and trade negotiator for the U.S. Department of State.
Over the last six years, Jim has developed expertise in the emerging sector of blockchain, decentralized finance (DeFi), and decentralized autonomous organizations (DAO). He has written several articles on these topics, which build on his experiences leading IT development projects.
Jim is an accomplished author and editor with more than 40 books, articles and conference papers dealing with international trade, dispute settlement, and blockchain issues. Jim received his J.D. from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville and received his bachelor’s degree from the University of California at Santa Barbara. He is licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia.
Note: It has recently been confirmed that Jim will be included on the 2022-2023 roster for Chapter 10 disputes under the USMCA.
- Legal Issues Confronting Formation and Operation of a Decentralized Autonomous Organization, with Justin Holbein, December 2021 https://www.braumillerlaw.com/legal-issues-confronting-formation-operation-decentralized-autonomous-organization-dao/
- Approaches to Regulation for Decentralized Finance (DeFi) October 2021 https://www.braumillerlaw.com/approaches-to-regulation-for-decentralized-finance/
- Developing Digital Approaches to Trade Finance (August 2021) https://www.braumillerlaw.com/developing-digital-approaches-to-trade-finance/
- Digital Blockchain Services Bolster Supply Chains (June 2021) https://www.braumillerlaw.com/digital-blockchain-services-bolster-supply-chains/
Trade in the New Digital World (March 2021) https://www.braumillerlaw.com/trade-digital-trade-world/
- IT Systems Development: Expert at leading operational teams to develop, build, test, and deploy IT systems for specialized trade or business processes.
- Contracts and Transactional Assistance: Assist clients with DAO formation issues, developing supply chains, contracting in international trade matters, and risk management.
- Business Planning: Assist companies with corporate risk management, due diligence, and internal legal analysis, often serving as outside counsel or a legal consultant.
- Regulatory Processes: Experience negotiating the U.S. interagency processes involving international trade, customs and tariff issues, and blockchain companies enabling cost-effective advice for companies navigating the U.S. regulatory process.
- Training: Courses available for corporate and non-profit officials on U.S. regulatory policy toward cryptocurrency and all the topics listed in this memo.
Read more articles by James: https://www.braumillerlaw.com/author/james-holbein/